The Chapel Choir has a rich history at First United Methodist Church. It has led Sunday worship at the 9:30 Sunday morning service during the school year since 1960. It is open to all high school youth regardless of musical abilities or background.
For the past 43 years, the choir has participated on a week-long Spring Break musical trip spreading God’s message in words and song to congregations throughout North America, including such places as New York City, Boston, Denver, St. Simon’s Island, Memphis, Pensacola, Nashville, Toronto, Myrtle Beach, Orlando, Philadelphia, Virginia Beach, Ft. Worth, New Orleans, Atlanta, Washington D.C., Wilmington, and many communities in between. The 2017 tour will take place March 26, 2017 - April 1, 2017.
Choir members practice Sunday morning after the 9:30 worship service as well as Wednesday night in preparation of their Christmas Concert and choir tour. Members also give their time through fundraising and mission trip activities at church. The youth are actively involved at their schools in athletics, speech, band, choir, dance, and many clubs.
The Chapel Choir goals are to:
- Share our faith in Jesus Christ through our music and our actions.
- Learn to participate in the leading of a Worship Service.
- Grow in our music skills through our rehearsal and performance schedule.
- Develop new relationships within our own group
- Learn to participate in and contribute to a large, diversified group.
The Chapel Choir rehearses on Wednesdays from 7:00pm to 8:15pm.