South DuPage CROP Hunger Walk
|Date:||Sunday, October 16, 2016|
Registration - 1:30pm
Walk Begins - 2:00pm
Gloria Dei Lutheran Church
(Across Main St. from Downers Grove North High School)
Total Money Raised in 2016: $32,453.43
See Results Page for more details.
We Walk Because They Walk!
- More than 800 million people in the world go hungry every day.
- More than 1 billion people lack access to safe drinking water and more than 2 billion lack sanitation.
- In the last 50 years, almost 400 million people worldwide have died from hunger and poor sanitation; that's three times the number of people killed in all wars fought in the 20th century.
How can you help?
Join the South DuPage CROP Hunger Walk! The South DuPage community have raised over $700,000 over the past 30 years through holding this annual CROP Hunger Walk, which helps to support the grassroots, hunger-fighting development efforts of Church World Service (CWS) partner agencies in more than 80 countries.
CROP Hunger Walks help to provide tools of hope that empower people to meet their own needs. From seeds and tools, to wells and water systems, to nutrition-enhancing Moringa trees, to technical training and micro-enterprise loans, the key is people working together to identify their own development priorities--something CWS has learned through 58 years of working in partnership around the world.
When CROP began in 1947 it was an acronym for the Christian Rural Overseas Program to help Midwest farm families share their grain with hungry neighbors in post- World War II Europe. The first CROP Hunger Walk was held in Bismarck, North Dakota in 1969. Each year, some 2,000 communities across the U.S. sponsor CROP Hunger Walks. Nationally, upwards of 200 corporations match employee gifts and/or volunteer hours to the CROP Hunger Walk. Locally, thousands of businesses and media outlets support their community's CROP Hunger Walk.
- More than 5 million CROP Hunger Walkers in past 20 years.
- 68% are over 18, average age is 33.5.
- 73% of participants say fighting hunger locally and globally is their key reason for taking part.
- 53% say the CROP Hunger Walk is the only sponsored activity in which they participate.
How much money is raised?
- In the last 20 years, $294 million has been gathered by CROP Hunger Walkers.
- Almost $4 million is shared annually to support local hunger-fighting efforts across the U.S.
- Since 1986, over $738,000 has been raised by the South DuPage CROP Hunger Walk.
- Since 1986, nearly $185,000 has been raised for local hunger agencies in DuPage County.
- In 2015, nearly $25,500 was raised by the South DuPage CROP Hunger Walk.
- 75% of the money supports the hunger programs of the Church World Service (the outreach arm of the National Council of Churches).
- 25% of the money supports local hunger agencies, including Hope's Front Door, Northern Illinois Food Bank, People's Resource Center (Westmont Pantry), Downers Grove FISH, West Suburban Community Pantry, Lisle Township Food Pantry, DuPage County Meals on Wheels, as well as the PADS sites at St. Mary's Catholic Church, FIrst Congregational Church and First United Methodist Church, Downers Grove.
How is the money raised?
- Schools, churches and civic organizations recruit walkers who solicit donations.
- Local businesses become sponsors by contributing funds.
How do I join?
You may join the CROP Hunger Walk either as an individual, or as a member of one of the many participating local churches and organizations. You can see last year's list of organizations on the South DuPage results page.
If you choose to walk as an individual, please contact the South DuPage coordinator, Kristin Schultz, in order to obtain a donation envelope
sign up online.
- Otherwise, obtain a donation envelope from your church or organization's local coordinator.
- Walkers raising $150 or more will receive a CROP Walk bag.
- Walkers raising $200 or more will also receive a CROP Walk pin.
You can now receive credit card donations online, in addition to collecting donations by hand.
- Visit the South DuPage Online Sign-Up Page.
- Click to join a team set up by one of the participating churches or organizations or register as an individual walker.
- E-mail friends and relatives to ask them to sponsor you.
How do I donate?
Donate to a walker
If you know someone participating in the CROP Hunger Walk, please sponsor them to help eliminate hunger in the world.
Visit the South DuPage Online Donations Page or click on one of the team links on the left sidebar of this page.
- Search for a walker by their name or sponsor a team.
Visit Culver's on September 20
If you present the Culver's flyer at the restaurant on Ogden Avenue (2500 Ogden Avenue, Downers Grove, IL 60515) between 5 and 8pm on September 20, 10% of your dining expenses will be donated to Church World Service.
Visit Panda Express on October 2
If you present the Panda Express flyer to the Ogden Avenue branch (Downers Grove Marketplace, 74 Ogden Avenue, Downers Grove, IL 60515) between 12 and 8pm on October 2, 20% of your bill will be donated to Church World Service.
Thank you for helping to make a difference in the world!
Church World Service Illinois Office
Associate Field Director
Jon Skogen email@example.com
188 Industrial Drive, Suite 108
Elmhurst, IL, 60126